I swear, this town gets a little bit more livable every day.
I mean, we’ve got an Irish Pub that serves Guinness on tap, we’ve got one, two, three places that I can get a taco, we’ve a cafe/bookshop/lending library loaded to the rafters with English-language books, we’ve got an English-language movie cinema playing Iron Man, and now… well, now..
We’ve got a frigin’ MUSIC FESTIVAL!
This weekend, May 10-11, the aforementioned Bookworm is hosting the East & West Music Fest (has got a nice ring to it eh?). The event will host more than 150 musicians and 25 different sets. Multi-diciplined and multi-culture doesn’t cover it, the festival is going to have everything from Chinese punk to a children’s recorder ensemble will be performing.
The Line Up
Saturday 10th – 2pm to 9pm
- Charlie bringing some good old American folk to Suzhou (America)
- Suzhou’s own Tom Waits: William on guitar, piano, harmonica (America)
- The Mysterious Weapons: Rock/pop/punk (China)
- The Doctors Rock/pop: (Indonesia)
- Rico: rock (Phillipines)
- Jimmy and Robert: Rock (Phillipines)
- Too Match Rock/pop (Phillipines)
- Joe and Mike- Rock (America)
- As Is: Jazz/Funk (band members from all over the world)
- Sim: Blues (Korea)
Sunday 11th – 2pm to 9pm
- Eton House Recorder ensemble and choir – Pop and Classical, (from all over)
- Dulwich College Orchestra – classical (all over)
- SSIS Orchestra -classical (all over)
- Suzhou University Music Union – traditional Chinese instruments (China)
- The Doctors – pop/rock (Indonesia)
- Sonja and Mira on violin and piano – Classical ( Germany and Bulgaria)
- Misha and Lupkieva – accordian and piano (Russia)
- Joe unplugged – folk/rock (America)
- Suzie and Boyd – guitar vocals duet- folk/rock (China/America)
- 张云鹏 (Zhang Yun Peng) Chinese rock/pop
What’s more, the festival comes complete with a BBQ. Now if it’d only stop raining.